Applying for medical cannabis (Project 21)
This is the process for subsidised medical cannabis via Project 21. If you do not meet the criteria/do not get accepted; see: Applying for medical cannabis
Most of these clinics offer video consulations, you don't need to live near one (eg. N.Ireland, Scottish Highlands)
Drug Science have created a video to describe the process: https://youtu.be/6LSVrB4vDYE
1. Visit Drug Science's Project 21 page to understand what the project is about: https://medcan.org.uk
2. Ensure you meet the criteria
3. Choose a clinic: https://drugscience.org.uk/clinic-directory/
4. Book an initial consultation with a relevant specialist (eg. pain specialist for pain)
- TMCC: Choose Project 21 consultation
- My Access Clinic: Mention that you wish to join Project 21 in the notes when booking/speaking to the consultant
5. Your consultant will give you an indication of whether or not they think you're a suitable candidate for medical cannabis and/or Project 21
6. Await approval by the Clinical Governance Board (anywhere from a few days to a few weeks)
7. Upon approval, your prescription will be sent to the pharmacy within 2-5 days, who will then contact you for payment.
8. Medication is sent to your house.
9. Book a follow up appointment for 4 weeks after you start the medication.
- Look at the prices each clinic charges, some may work out cheaper than others
- 3x follow up appointments are required
- Full access to your medical record will be requested
- If you do not get accepted on the scheme, your consultant may still offer you non-subsidised treatment.
Average subsidised prices (subject to change - correct as of 10/09/20):
- Bud: £150/30g
- Oil: £150/30ml